Populo Living – our new name
Posted 23 June 2020
We are delighted to announce we will be called Populo Living from 23rd June.
Populo is taken from the Borough of Newham’s motto “Progress with the People”, based on East Ham’s historic Latin motto "Progressio cum Populo".
It recognises our remit to make Newham home for everyone - building high quality, genuinely affordable housing, as well as private developments. For more information on our name change, download our PDF booklet here.
We’re central to Newham Council’s Housing Delivery Plan introduced by the Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz. This is designed to tackle the borough’s serious housing shortage, with 27,000 people on the waiting list and 5,200 households in temporary accommodation:
- work is underway across 12 council-owned sites, with starts on 16 houses and 293 apartments.
- on course to hit the target of 50% of all homes to be rented out at London Affordable Rent levels under our new business plan.
- accelerating towards the target of starting building 884 genuinely affordable homes by March 2021.
- build 5000 homes overall by 2035, of which 50% will be affordable.
- finalising plans to restore, regenerate and redevelop The Carpenters estate - working with the community on a blueprint for hundreds of new homes - ahead of a residents’ ballot early next year.
We were set up in 2014, as a wholly owned subsidiary of Newham Council. Newham is now investing £1.5bn in our affordable housing projects. This is underpinned by a £107.5m grant in 2018 from the London Mayor’s Building Council Homes for Londoners programme.